Tango Steps in Buenes Aires

November 14, 2010

Technology at the Pyramids

I took many pictures while visiting the pyramids in Egypt, but this is one of my favorites. If you look closely, this man is chatting away to a friend while sitting at the base of one of the pyramids in Giza. No matter where I go in the world, people always have cell phones. In fact, this man probably had a cell phone even before I did! They may not have running water or electricity, but they always have a cell phone. Even when I'm really off the beaten path, the local people always seem to have at least one cell phone. Globalization really is amazing and I am so glad that people all over the world have access to technology because it creates economic opportunities that they otherwise would not have. I've heard of women who establish co-ops and then collectively sell their crafts overseas, and rural farmers who are able to determine the competitive market price for their crops because of access to global markets and networks, all through the use of their cell phones. I may not always understand technology, but it sure is amazing how it can change so many peoples lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment